Wine jug

Pitcher

German (Siegburg)
about 1580
Workshop of Anno Knutgen (active about 1567–1581)


Object Place: Europe, Germany

Dimensions

Height 28.58 cm (11 1/4 in.)

Accession Number

60.179

Medium or Technique

Salt-glaze stoneware with tin mount

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Ceramics, Pottery, Stoneware

Cream colored salt-glaze stoneware. Bulbous pitcher (“Pulle”) with small flat base and narrower turned tin-mounted neck. Strap handle, to which is attached mount for tin lid. Pressed reliefs: ornamented medallion eagle of Roman Empire dated 1580 and one dated 1574 in shield held by angel at front. Facing couples, stylized tree between, on sides. Lower front medallions repeated to flank handle.

Inscription

Gummed paper label on underside of base: "O. Bondy"

Provenance

Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (probably no. OB 93) [see note 1]; stored at the Central Depot, Neue Burg, Vienna, and probably removed to Alt Aussee [see note 2]; 1945, recovered by Allied forces and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; February 20, 1960, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA [see note 3]. (Accession Date: March 10, 1960)

NOTES:
[1] With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This wine jug is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), probably as no. 93 ("Bauchiger Steinzeugkrug mit Frauen und Wappen, dat. 1574").

[2] Many works of art stored elsewhere by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, to be kept stafe from wartime bombing.

[3] Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.

Credit Line

Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson