Zoomorph effigy pendant
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama
3 x 3.5 cm (1 3/16 x 1 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Pendant in the form of two animals resembling the leaf-nosed bat, here conjoined at shoulders, hips and tails. Each has a concave abdomen that originally was inlaid with a semeiprecious stone or similar shiny material. A ring at the back of each animal’s neck allows for suspension on a cord. One of three (1971.803-.805).
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay