The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, was one of the earliest museums in the country to collect photography, initiated in 1924 when Alfred Stieglitz donated 27 of his photographs. A complementary group of 35 additional Stieglitz photographs was given in 1950 by the photographer’s widow Georgia O’Keeffe. Additional strengths of the collection include daguerreotypes by Southworth and Hawes; sublime landscapes of the American West; turn-of-the-century Pictorialism; the Lane Collection (including substantial holdings of Charles Sheeler, Edward Weston, and Ansel Adams); European and central European photography from between the wars (including the Sonja Bullaty and Angelo Lomeo Collection of Josef Sudek photographs); European post-war Subjective photography; sizable groups of works by Harry Callahan, Emmet Gowin, and Nicholas Nixon; mountain photographs by Bradford Washburn; portraits of internationally known figures by Yousuf Karsh; and fashion and celebrity images by Herb Ritts.
Photography exhibitions can be found in the MFA’s Herb Ritts Gallery, the Museum’s first gallery dedicated to the medium, which was endowed in 2007 and is located on the first floor. Additional exhibitions, as well as individual works, can also often be found throughout the Museum’s galleries.