One of the MFA’s largest permanent collections, the Art of the Americas department holdings represent painting, sculpture, and decorative arts from North, Central and South America. Curators and staff in the department are responsible for studying, interpreting, maintaining, and augmenting these collections in collaboration with other departments throughout the Museum. Responsibilities of department members include: selecting, interpreting, and coordinating installations in the permanent collection galleries; organizing special exhibitions; researching the collection; and arranging for loans to other institutions.
The department is currently seeking a graduate level intern to contribute to work on the archival files of the permanent collection, specifically updating catalogue information, in addition to other research projects as needed. This is an unpaid position, working under the Art of the Americas Curators of Decorative Arts & Sculpture. It offers an opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience by learning first-hand about museum work and personally contributing to one of the world’s best collections of American art.
- Organizing and maintaining object files, and identifying gaps in documentation.
- Researching exhibition, publication, and provenance history related to these objects and ensuring that this information is properly documented in both the object files and electronic database.
- Working closely with the supervising curator on department-related projects, as needed.
- Enrollment in, or very recent graduation from, a M.A. or Ph.D. program (*Advanced undergraduate students with demonstrated interest in the field will be considered.)
- Prior research experience
- Excellent communication- both written and verbal
- Knowledge of American decorative arts or a related field
- Strong aptitude with computer databases
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability to commit 10-15 hours per week for at least 12 weeks through mid December
- Email a single MS-Word or PDF document containing your cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ability to attend orientation on Sat, Sept 17, (9:30 a.m. to 12 noon)
10.00 - 15.00 hours per week
Flexible within Mon-Fri, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. parameters
February 3, 2015
Art of the Americas