Under the general direction of the Director of Facilities, the Assistant Director of Facilities is responsible for managing the daily operation and maintenance of the physical plant of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (MFA). Essential functions include: assisting in managing direct report staff, including the Department Coordinator, Electrical Supervisor, Engineering Manager, Manager of Buildings and Grounds, Construction Supervisor, Utility Supervisor, and indirectly manage employees in the bargaining unit; responsible for overseeing the maintenance and repair of HVAC systems in order to provide precise climate control for the preservation of the Museum’s collection, Museum visitors, volunteers and staff; provide engineering and support as required to all MFA properties; maintain financial data, inspection reports and related service contracts; ability to read and interpret drawings and construction cost estimating experience; assist the Director of Facilities with developing and managing the annual budget; manage vendor relationships, outside contractors, safety training for staff to ensure that OSHA safety standards are met; provide project management for assigned capital projects, exhibit installations and renovations; work with various Museum departments on building related projects.
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related discipline.
• Minimum of ten years of Facilities Management experience working in a complex facilities setting; experience in a museum facility/environment ideal.
• Comprehensive knowledge of electrical, HVAC, plumbing, DDC, fire and energy management systems.
• Critical thinker with ability to problem-solve complex and unprecedented situations.
• A demonstrated track record of managing, motivating and training staff; experience managing bargaining unit employees a plus.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to deliver effective presentations to individuals or groups.
• A demonstrated track record of leading and applying team concepts.
• Solid project management skills, including construction, exhibition planning, budget management, planning, procurement and forecasting.
• Proficiency with computers (Microsoft Word, Excel and building automation systems).
• Must stay abreast of all current developments in Facilities Management, including museum/collections related policies, trends, changes and protocols.
• Must possess an excellent safety track record.
• Position requires the Assistant Director to be available on-call, 24/7 for emergencies.
• Essential physical demands include: the ability to sit and stand for extended periods; frequently turn, twist, bend, stoop, lift up to 50lbs, climb ladders and reach over head; working in confined spaces may be required.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
35.00 hours per week
June 1, 2017