In September 2011, the Museum opened its renovated Linde Family Wing as a space dedicated to contemporary art, vastly expanding the department’s capacity for exhibition and programs. In early 2013, the MFA’s launched its new performance art program.
The Department of Contemporary Art and MFA Programs at the MFA encompasses many media including film and video art, sculpture, installation, photography, paintings, design, craft, decorative arts and performance. We are seeking a volunteer Performance Art intern to assist in the production performance artworks, working closely with a curator and living artists in the context of an encyclopedic fine arts institution.
Reporting to the Assistant Curator of Contemporary Art & MFA Programs, this internship is an excellent opportunity for someone with attention to detail and strong organizational skills and a keen interest in the emergence and growth of performance art. The opportunity requires a commitment of 12-15 hours per week during business hours, with some evening hours on event days.
- Create and manage production schedules
- Assist with event publicity via social media and other outlets
- Assist with the acquisition of materials
- Assist with the coordination of artists’ projects between different departments at the Museum
- Provide support for the curator and participating artists on various tasks the weeks prior to and day of the event
- Interest in or knowledge of Performance Art
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and provide self-direction when needed
- Strong social and communications skills
- Interest in working with living artists
- Ability to commit to two semesters is desirable
- Email a single MS-Word or PDF document containing your cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ability to attend orientation from 9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Tues, May 30, or Tues, June 13
- Ability to commit to 15 - 20 hours, (preferably two whole days), per week through mid-August
15.00 - 20.00 hours per week
To be determined with supervisor based on performance schedule.
November 5, 2014
Contemporary Art and MFA Programs