The Department of Contemporary Art is seeking a Performance Art intern 12-15 hours per week during business hours, with some evening hours on event days. Contemporary art at the MFA encompasses many media including film and video art, sculpture, installation, photography, paintings, design, craft, decorative arts and performance.
In September 2011, the Museum opened its renovated Linde Family Wing as a space dedicated to contemporary art, vastly expanding the department’s capacity for exhibition and programs. In early 2013, the MFA launched its new performance art program.
This internship is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter, with attention to detail and strong organizational skills, to assist in the production of performance artworks, working closely with a curator and living artists in the context of an encyclopedic fine arts institution.
Reporting to the Assistant Curator of Contemporary Art & MFA Programs, basic responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Create and manage production schedules
- Assist with event publicity via social media and other outlets
- Assist with the acquisition of materials and other administrative tasks
- Assist with the coordination of artists’ projects between different departments at the Museum
- Provide support for the curator and participating artists on various administrative and production-related tasks the weeks prior to and day of the event
- Interest in or knowledge of Performance Art
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and longer-term organizational vision
- Ability to take initiative and provide self-direction when needed
- Strong social and communications skills
- Interest in working with living artists
- Ability to commit at least 12-15 hours per week through the fall semester (Those interested in continuing their internship beyond the fall are strongly encouraged to apply, as this opportunity could be extended into the spring semester. Please note this in your application.)
- Ability to attend orientation Wed, Sept 17, (6pm) or Wed, Oct 1, (10am or 6pm)
12.00 - 15.00 hours per week
To be determined with supervisor based on performance schedule.
July 26, 2013
Contemporary Art and MFA Programs