The Designer will be responsible for assigned activities that are related to the planning and design of temporary exhibitions, object installations, and museum interior renovations; with the primary goal being the display of art objects in an aesthetic, innovative, and secure manner. Reports to and under the daily supervision of the museum’s Head Designer.
• Develop schematics, design drawings, and construction documents for the exhibit and/or installation of a wide variety of projects that ultimately enhance the museum’s tremendous encyclopedic art collection.
• Work together with and advise Curatorial staff, Conservation staff, and Administration personnel during all design phases of the design process.
• Supervise assigned staff in functional responsibilities. Develop necessary contacts and collaborate with museum facilities staff (carpenters, painters, electricians, and utilities) and outside museum contractors. Organize and monitor contractual and technical services required for fabrication and provide overview to insure conformance to design intent.
• Work together with and advise design staff (graphic designers and preparators) on the implementation and production of exhibition related graphics and display apparatus. Originate work orders, purchase orders, and orders for services required for exhibition or exhibition component fabrication.
• Maintain effective contact with other Design professionals and Museum professionals; attend and take part in Museum organizational and planning meetings related to the exhibition and presentation programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Design, Fine Arts or other related field.
• Experience as an Exhibition Designer required, preferably for a Museum.
• Proficiency with Vectorworks required. Proficiency with SketcUp or Rhino a plus. Working knowledge of Adobe Ceative suite recommended.
• Working knowledge of standard construction techniques, museum casework design, lighting and graphics.
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities with competing projects to meet critical deadlines.
• Excellent time management, planning, and teamwork skills.