The Museum is seeking a Graphic Designer in the Exhibitions and Design Department. Reporting to the Studio Manager and under the general direction of the Head Designer and Senior Graphic Designer, the Graphic Designer will initiate, plan, and perform a wide variety of design and graphic activities. Along with two other graphic designers in the department, this position is responsible for the layout, trafficking, and production of environmental graphics for all spaces in the Museum. This includes graphic design for special exhibitions, permanent gallery installations, gallery renovation projects, wayfinding, and signage. This is a very collaborative and hands-on role that calls for a designer with strong typographic skills, the ability to work well with others, and a passion for art and museums.
The Graphic Designer’s primary role will be working independently and with the Studio Manager to fulfill graphic needs for a rigorous schedule of permanent gallery rotations, ensuring that labels and text panels are designed, proofed, and produced on time. Another primary responsibility will be fulfilling sign requests from all areas of the Museum, including visitor services, membership, education, curatorial, programs, events, facilities, and communications. The Graphic Designer will receive and track sign requests, obtain text and images, design and oversee proofing of signs, and facilitate timely production and installation or delivery of signage. This position may also have the opportunity to partner with 3D designers on some special exhibitions. This includes participating in the planning process from its early stages through installation, designing all graphic and didactic materials for the exhibition, including text panels, chats, labels, maps, illustrations, photos, murals, titles, and other signs. Finally, the Graphic Designer will assist with larger graphics projects as needed and assist the production team with production and installation of graphics and gallery materials, especially during high volume times.
• 2 to 3 years of graphic design experience, preferably in print and/or environmental graphic design; BA in graphic design preferred
• Fluency with Mac graphics software including the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
• Manual skills including precise cutting, trimming and installing large murals, weeding and applying vinyl lettering, painting label edges, and familiarity with hand tools and electric power tools
• Sharp color sense with a keen eye for color matching, testing, and combinations
• Extensive professional knowledge of and experience with typography, InDesign, and design production
• Ability to work collaboratively, professionally, and gracefully with colleagues from many departments with a variety of personalities; team player
• Ability to communicate and troubleshoot design solutions with non-designers
• Familiarity with and appreciation for art history and museums
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
35.00 hours per week
February 16, 2018
Exhibitions and Design