The Registrar’s Office, within the Conservation and Collections Management department, is responsible for tracking the location and condition of every object in the Museum’s collection – as well as every object on loan to the Museum.
Interns will come to understand how a museum Registrar’s Office operates while assisting with a variety of clerical duties and tasks. Students will gain a clear understanding of the planning and communications of executing and documenting loans. Interns are expected to recognize the importance of thoughtfulness to detail as well as the discretion that is required when working with confidential records for the MFA. Training on the Museum’s database will be provided. Working directly with the entire Registrar staff at the Museum of Fine Arts the intern will assist with all aspects of administration.
- Registration, cataloguing, documenting and recording of art work both on loan to and owned by the MFA.
- Perform data entry into the Museum database assisting with the keeping of the permanent records for exhibition and loans, and typing and maintaining lender/donor/borrower records.
- Special projects, as assigned, such as assisting exhibitions, researching objects on loan, lenders, borrowers to the MFA
- Document preparation for accessioning and other miscellaneous projects as assigned
- Enrolled graduate student concentrating in Art History or Museum Studies preferred
- Prior museum experience is desirable
- Accurate clerical and word-processing skills are essential
- Clerical, office, or library experience is desirable
- Keen attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills required
- Must be able to work independently as necessary, as well as collaboratively
- The ability to commit to 12-20 hours per week (within the Mon-Fri, 8a-5p framework) through mid December
- Email a single MS-Word document containing your cover letter & resume to: email@example.com
- Ability to attend orientation on either Sat, Sept 26 (9:30am) or Wed, Oct 7 (10am or 6pm)
12.00 - 20.00 hours per week
To be determined; flexible within M-F, 8a-5p
February 3, 2015
Conservation and Collections Mgmt, Registrar's Office