The Education Department is responsible for programs that give visitors of all ages the opportunity to make direct connections with the Museum’s collection and exhibitions. The Department is organized into five sections: Gallery Learning; Planning and Evaluation; Interpretation; School Programs and Teacher Resources; and Studio and Community Arts. The Department offers internships to college students who enjoy working with people and are interested in learning more about the many facets of Museum Education.
The Artful Adventures program engages children with the diversity of the MFA encyclopedic collection. Teachers and group leaders work closely with museum educators to design collection tours that fit the interests and needs of each group. Each visit combines gallery exploration with an art making activity. Artful Adventures can be offered any day of the week, as a single visit or multiple visit partnerships, and tours can be planned for all ages from preschool through teens. Currently Artful Adventures serves over 20,000 youth annually.
This internship acquaints students with the Museum’s collections and programs and provides the opportunity to explore a variety of career possibilities. Experience with art is not necessary but sometimes proves helpful.
• Assist in all aspects of the Artful adventures programming at the Museum and off-site.
• Prepare supplies and materials for teaching in the galleries and studio
• Assist in studio maintenance
• Research the collection and develop new resources for the program
• Provide support and guidance to children and assist with group management
• Design and lead tours, lessons, and projects
• Attend planning meetings and assist with program evaluation
• Other administrative duties as required
• Experience working with children/youth
• Interest in art
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to receive/follow instructions
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, internet applications, and/or Adobe programs a plus
• Must be available to work 2 days per week between Monday - Friday, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm through mid April
• Ability to attend orientation on either Wed, Jan 8 (10 am or 6 pm); Wed, Jan 22 (6 pm); or Wed, Feb 5 (10 am or 6 pm)