The Department of Art of the Ancient World serves as a repository of art from ancient Egypt, Nubia, the Near East, Greece, Etruria, and Rome. The collection, one of the largest and most encyclopedic in the United States, contains approximately 87,000 objects.
The department is seeking a volunteer intern who will work under the direction of the Art of the Ancient World Egyptian and Classical curators and assist with various duties and projects that are vital to the operation of the department.
The volunteer intern will learn how to use the museum’s collections management database and gain insight into various curatorial practices and activities.
• Perform daily tasks such as receiving visitors, typing, compiling, photocopying, mail distribution, and scanning
• Sort and/or file sales catalogues, administrative files, off-prints, and archival records
• Verify information relating to the collection, as appropriate
• Assist with other administrative and curatorial activities, on request
• Undergraduate training or experience (preferably junior or senior level) in art history, archaeology, museum studies or related field
• Proven careful attention to detail
• Demonstrated familiarity with computers, especially database programs
• Demonstrated reliability
• Previous office experience and/or proven ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to commit from 21-26 hours per week through early-mid May
• Ability to attend orientation on either Wed, Jan 8 (10 am or 6 pm); Wed, Jan 22 (6 pm); or Wed, Feb 5 (10 am or 6 pm)