The National Center of Afro-American Artists, (NCAAA), located in the historic Roxbury section of Boston, celebrates the extraordinary artistic, philosophical and intellectual contributions of African and diasporic cultures to the world’s rich heritage of creativity. In 1969, the MFA and the NCAAA began an unprecedented alliance and partnership, which has continued to the present, whereby the MFA has assisted the NCAAA in the development of its museum. Over the years, the Museum of the NCAAA has gained wide recognition for its programs and innovations. Presently the facility, the former Oak Bend mansion at 300 Walnut Avenue in Roxbury provides space for five generous galleries and offices, with plans for an additional five galleries plus education spaces.
We are seeking an intern to work with the Director of the National Center of Afro-American Artists, assisting with a variety of projects integral to Museum-wide operations. This is an excellent opportunity to get an overview of the operation of a small museum while learning more about art museum administration as a career.
Reporting to the NCAAA Director, this intern will support the office by performing daily administrative tasks, long-term special projects, and collections-related projects. The intern may also work jointly with the Assistant to the Director and volunteers on projects of general importance.
Specific duties and hours will be discussed with candidates.
• Update various internal reference materials including general Museum information, curatorial contact information, and acquisition highlights
• Compile PowerPoint presentations and periodical reports for the Board
• Work on long-term file maintenance and organization
• Assist with daily copying, filing, shredding, greeting visitors, and answering the phone
• Assist with other projects as needed
• Enrollment in or completion of a B.A. program with a high degree of interest in the arts and museum administration
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and familiarity with PowerPoint
• Previous successful office experience
• Keen attention to detail, diplomacy, and extremely professional manner
• Ability to commit a minimum of 14 hours per week through mid April