The Museum’s Interactive Media department creates compelling interactive experiences in the galleries and online. Our work includes video production, multimedia tours, in-gallery activities, way finding, online collections and exhibition web sites. Interactive Media staff works closely with Curatorial, Education, Marketing, Visitor Services, and Exhibitions & Design teams.
The MFA Guide provides an engaging approach to touring the MFA’s galleries and select special exhibitions. Using a rented mobile device, visitors can follow trails by theme or blaze their own. The Guides offer audio commentary, video, images of comparative works of art, and music. Visitors can listen to curators, artists, collectors, and conservators; hear period musical instruments being played; and watch craftspeople at work.
The MFA Guide intern reports to the Production Manager, Interactive Media. The Manager seeks an imaginative self-starter with motivation, creativity, and independence to be part of our team for the fall. The intern will gain an intimate behind-the-scenes understanding of how media is used in museums for interpretation, promotion, and collections access.
Responsibilities may include:
• Media organization and management
• Graphics production for the web and MFA Guides
• Podcast production and video or audio editing
• Migration of media from internal database to www.mfa.org
• Troubleshooting and maintenance of MFA Guides
• Usability studies and interviews with visitors
• Database cross-referencing
• Quality assurance testing
• Strong computer skills in both administrative and creative software
• Enrollment in and returning to an undergraduate program
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated success working as part of a team and independently
• Demonstrated keen attention to detail
• Clear analytical and communication skills
• Ability to commit to 10-12 hours per week through mid August
• Ability to attend orientation on either Tues, May 27, (9:30 am to 12 pm); or Tues., June 10 (9:30 am – 12 pm)