No Class: April 22 & April 29
Course Description: Visit the galleries to view different painting styles and techniques. Work from still life objects in the studio, or independently realize your ideas with a series of paintings on canvas, paper, or panel. Learn fundamental skills, color relationships and develop a personal style with acrylic paint. The instructor creates the course curriculum. See below for the instructor’s bio.
- 2 oz paints (titanium white, cadmium red medium hue, cadmium yellow medium hue, cadmium yellow light, ultramarine blue, pthylo blue, alizarin crimson, pthalo green, burnt sienna, burnt umber, mars black)
- 4.65 oz paint (titanium white)
- Disposable palette pad
- Canvas boards or stretched canvases (9x12-inch)
- Palette knife
- Flat brushes (a range of sizes)
- Filbert brushes (a range of sizes)
- Round brush (maybe one)
Instructor: Justin Life
Justin Life received an MFA from Tufts University/School of the Museum of Fine Arts (‘07) and a BFA in painting from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (‘02); he also studied at the Winchester School of Art at Southampton University in England (‘02). His shows include “Affirming the Hand” at the Courtyard Gallery, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (‘05); the “Student Annual Exhibition” at Grossman Gallery, SMFA (‘06); “Boston Young Contemporaries” at 808 Gallery (‘07); “MFA Thesis Show” at Tufts University (‘07); “Flora and Fauna” at EM Gallery, Winston Salem, NC (‘09); and “Boston Drawing Project 10th Anniversary Show” at Carroll and Sons Gallery, Boston MA (‘09). Life also teaches at Tufts University and the Boston Architectural College.