Ôtsu: Hashirii Teahouse (Ôtsu, Hashirii chaya), second state, from the series Fifty-three Stations of the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsugi no uchi), also known as the First Tôkaidô or Great Tôkaidô
「東海道五十三次之内 大津 走井茶屋」
Toraya, Atsumeru tanoshimi (Yoshida coll., 2012), #32; Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 245, horizontal ôban #55.54
Horizontal ôban; 23.8 x 36.5 cm (9 3/8 x 14 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Out on Loan
On display at Bologna Museo Civico Archeologico, October 12, 2018 – March 3, 2019
No. 54 in the series, second state (without background mountain).
First state: 11.23108, 21.5084, 21.5085
Second state: 06.1494, 11.17268, 11.17269, *11.38860 (deaccessioned in 2012), *11.45565 (deaccessioned in 2012), 2009.2411.54
Censor's seal: kiwame
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850 - d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: August 3, 1911)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection