Amulet of a djed-pillar
Hellenistic Period (Ptolemaic Dynasty)
Height x width: 6.6 x 2.8 cm (2 5/8 x 1 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of a djed-pillar is made of lapis lazuli spotted with white. Its edges are nicked, and it has traces of gilding and a hole at top. The pillar, which symbolized the backbone of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way