Amulet of a djed-pillar
Late Period, Dynasty 25–30
Height x width: 11.1 x 3.8 cm (4 3/8 x 1 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of a djed-pillar is made of purplish-brown faience, slightly glazed and heavily encrusted. The edges slightly chipped; otherswise it is intact. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way