Amulet of a djed-pillar
Late Period, Dynasty 25–30
Height x width: 8.9 x 2.7cm (3 1/2 x 1 1/16in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet is made of a very light green faience with a slight glaze, in the shape of a djed pillar. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability. Vertical lines are incised between the horizontal bands.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way