Amulet of a djed-pillar
Late Period, Dynasty 25–30
Height x width x depth: 11.4 x 3.6 x 1.2 cm (4 1/2 x 1 7/16 x 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of pale green faience depresents a djed-pillar. There is a slight glaze remaining, with heavy presence of brown incrustations. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way