Amulet of a djed-pillar
Late Period, Dynasty 25–30
Width x length: 2.3 x 7.3 cm (7/8 x 2 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet is made of light blue-green faience that is glazed. It is nn the shape of a djed-pillar, understood as the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris. It was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability. There are incised lines between the vertebral segments. Traces of gilding remain.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way