Amulet of a djed-pillar (fragments)
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Object Place: Egypt, Denderah, Animal Catacombs
Overall: 2.3 x 0.8 x 10.5 cm (7/8 x 5/16 x 4 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ivory and bone
Not On View
This amulet is made of ivory and bone and consists of two large fragments and three small fragments. They are joining and charred. The amulet represents the djed-pillar. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
From Dendara, animal catacombs. 1898: excavated by William Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the Egypt Exploration Fund in the division of finds by the government of Egypt; presented to the MFA at the general meeting of the EEF.
(Accession Date: November 1, 1898)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription