Amulet of a head of a panther
Length x width: 2.2 x 2.5 cm (7/8 x 1 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of a panther’s head is bright blue with some discolored green areas. The back is flat, it is incrusted with brown and there are two holes for suspension, one at the forehead and one at the nose. The faience has a thick glassy glaze.
The New Kingdom (1570-1070 B.C.) saw a great flowering of the jeweler’s art as improvements in the manufacture of faience (a quartz bodied ceramic) combined with the invention of glass-making to produce a dazzling variety of ornaments in new forms and colors.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way