Amulet of Khnum or Harsaphes (Heryshef)
Late Period, probably Dynasty 30
Height: 4 cm (1 9/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of pale green glazed faience depicts a ram-headed male deity standing and walking forward. Egypt had multiple ram gods and it is often difficult to identify which one is intended. This god may be Khnum, the patron deity of Elephantine (modern Aswan) or Harsaphes, the patron of Heracleopolis. In either case, amulets of this type were placed in burials to assist the rebirth of the deceased in the afterlife. There is a hole at the back for suspension.
From Tanis (San el-Hagar). 1884: excavated by William Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the Egypt Exploration Fund in the division of finds by the government of Egypt; October 28, 1885: presented to the MFA at EEF general meeting.
(Accession Date: March 1, 1885)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription