Amulet of the head of Hathor
Late Period, Dynasty 26
Findspot: Egypt, Tanis (San el-Hagar)
Height: 2.8 cm (1 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Hathor head amulets were popular from the New Kingdom to the Greco-Roman period. Hathor, the goddess of love and protector of the dead, is shown as a woman with the ears of a cow, wearing a distinctive, heavy wig with the ends coiled into spirals. This example is made of bright green glazed faience. The back is flat and there is a ring at the top for suspension.
From Tanis (San el-Hagar), cemetery of Tel Snailin. 1884: excavated by William Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the Egypt Exploration Fund in the division of finds by the government of Egypt; October 28, 1885: presented to the MFA at EEF general meeting.
(Accession Date: March 1, 1885)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription