Amulet of the head of Hathor
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Findspot: Egypt, Deir el-Bahari
Overall: 3.5 x 5 x 0.8 cm (1 3/8 x 1 15/16 x 5/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Hathor head amulets were popular from the New Kingdom to the Greco-Roman period. Hathor, the goddess of love and protector of the dead, is usually shown as a woman with the ears of a cow, wearing a distinctive, heavy wig with the ends coiled into spirals. In this case, made of bright blue glazed faience, there is no wig but simply the head on a standard. The amulet is nicely detailed with incised decoration. There are two small holes at the sides of the top for suspension.
From Egypt, Deir el-Bahari. 1906: excavated by the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the EEF in the division of finds by the Egyptian government; voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting; sent over 1906.
(Accession date: October 11, 1906)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription