Animal effigy pendant
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama
Overall: 3 x 1.2 x 4.5 cm (1 3/16 x 1/2 x 1 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Stylized rendering of an animal effigy pendant with blunt slightly-curled tail. Biconically drilled holes through each of the two front legs allow for suspension on a cord. Agate is mottled red-brown in color.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay