Arm and hand, possibly of Dionysos, holding a kantharos
Classical or Early Hellenistic Period
4th century B.C.
Sculpture in Stone (MFA), no. 061.
Height x length: 46.3 x 31 cm (18 1/4 x 12 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Greek Classical Gallery (Gallery 215B)
The arm probably belongs to a male divinity, likely Dionysos. It was made separately from the statue and attached. The workmanship seems to belong to the fourth century or to the Hellenistic period.
The joint is worked smooth and contains a dowel hole. A fragment of the inner side of the arm has been broken off and refastened. The kantharos is also rejoined, and one side of it is missing. The surface has a yellow-brown patina.
By 1903: with Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: Bought in Athens.); purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren, March 24, 1903
Francis Bartlett Donation of 1900