Object Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Overall: 103.5 x 84.1 x 52.1 cm (40 3/4 x 33 1/8 x 20 1/2 in.) Other (Floor to seat): 41 cm (16 1/8 in.) Overall (Knee to Knee): 85.1 cm (33 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Walnut, pine, nineteenth-century upholstery
Burton A. Cleaves Gallery (Gallery LG27)
Branded twice on the top of the seat frame: "C [symbol of Mercury] B" C and B both have serifs; chalk inscription on inside of seat rail: "LM"
Owned by the Wheelock family of New York; by 1930s, collection of Mrs. J. Amory Haskell; 1944, sold at Parke-Bernet, Haskell Sale, May 20, 1944, lot 750 (ill); by 1959 with Isreal Sack, Inc. (New York); 1960, acquired by the MFA from Isreal Sack through exchange and purchase for a total of $12,000 (Acquisition date: February 18, 1960).
Bequests of Dr. Samuel Green and Dudley Leavitt Pickman, Gift of S. Richard Fuller by exchange and C.H. Tyler Residuary Fund