Avian effigy pendant
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama
2.5 x 1.4 x 3.3 cm (1 x 9/16 x 1 5/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Cast gold bird effigy pendant with long, thin beak. A wide suspension ring is found on its chest, and its body was originally represented by a stone insert (now lost). See 1971.788 for a similar pendant.
After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)
NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Landon T. Clay