Jacob Hurd (American, 1702 or 1703–1758)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Overall: 13 x 9.5 cm (5 1/8 x 3 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Carolyn A. and Peter S. Lynch Gallery (Gallery 132)
The raised bell-shaped beaker with slightly everted lip and rounded base is soldered to a drawn and molded circular foot.
This beaker by Jacob Hurd was the third piece of communion silver (the second by the silversmith) to be acquired by the fledgling Presbyterian church that had formed in 1729. The vessel is of a standard midcentury form and size, similar to the beaker that Hurd fashioned for the Newton church that same year (cat. no. 85). The tablet-shaped escutcheon, with its architectural, bellflower, and foliate decoration, was one favored by Hurd.1 It served as a template for Paul Revere when, in 1753, he was given the charge of fashioning three more beakers for the church.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
In varied styles, engraved "The Gift of / Mr. Brice and Mrs: Ann Blair / For the Use of the presbytieria / Church in Long-Lane. where of. / The Revd: M. Iohn Moorhead is. / Pastor / in Gratitude to God for / His. Goodnefs. / to them and thiers in a Strange / Land / BOSTON: may 1: 1744. / Set Deo Maxima Laus" within a bellflower and shell cartouche.
Stamped "Hurd" in roman letters within a shaped cartouche below the rim, on body of beaker and opposite engraving.
Brice Blair (d. 1758), tailor, and his wife, Ann Blair (d. 1756) to the Church of Presbyterian Strangers in Long-Lane, later known as Arlington Street Church. Sold by the church through Northeast Auctions, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on August 3-4, 2002, lot 868.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Lavinia and Landon T. Clay