Samuel Minott (1732–1803)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Overall: 13.5 x 10.7 cm, 0.35 kg (5 5/16 x 4 3/16 in., 0.77 lb.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The tall raised beaker has an inverted bell form, with a stepped and splayed foot and applied foot ring.
Minott was one of the most successful silversmiths of his day. In addition to being a productive craftsman, he was adept at retailing the works of others. Silver that carries his mark along with that of another silversmith is considered an indicator of a collaborative or retail arrangement, although the exact nature of such relationships is unclear. Minott produced some 170 pieces of silver before the Revolution, when his Loyalist sympathies ended his career.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
On body of cup, below lip, is engraved "The Gift of Miss Abigal [sic] Parker / to the Church of Christ in Newton / 1768." Scribed guide lines for engraver are faintly visible.
Marked "S [pellet] M" in roman letters within a rectangle, below center point.
The donor, Abigail Parker (about 1690 – 1767), was the daughter of Isaac and Mary (Parker) Parker. Her will, dated April 7, 1767, and proved May 5, 1767, provided £5 6s. 3d. “for some utensil for the use of said Church,” presumably this beaker.
1973, gift of the First Church of Newton, Mass. to the MFA.
Gift of the First Church in Newton