George Greenleaf (American, 1790–1872)
Object Place: Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States
Overall: 8.5 x 7 cm, 0.09 kg (3 3/8 x 2 3/4 in., 0.2 lb.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
raised beaker has a center point on bottom and slightly convex sides that curve inward to a slightly flared rim.
Noted collector Philip Hammerslough was probably the first to recognize the “G. Greenleaf” mark as being that of George Greenleaf of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Greenleaf may not have worked long at his craft, for he was listed as an “auctioneer” as early as 1813, the same year in which he advertised himself as a silversmith. By 1847 his occupation was recorded as “commission merchant.” A small number of objects survive with various marks that have been ascribed to Greenleaf. Of these, several beakers, a porringer, and some spoons carry the serrated “G. GREENLEAF” mark seen on this cup. Many of these items were owned by relatives of the craftsman or by Newburyport residents.
This beaker is similar to a pair that were engraved “A W,” thought by Hammerslough to represent Greenleaf’s father-in-law, Capt. Abraham Wheelwright. Its form is an updated version of the seventeenth-century tunn, a short barrel-shaped vessel that is easy to grasp.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
The entwined monogram "AEH" in sprigged script is engraved on midsection of vessel.
Marked "G.GREENLEAF" within a serrated rectangle on base of cup.
Ada Mark * F4420
The initials on the beaker are probably for Anne E. Haynes of Charlestown, Massachusetts, the wife of Stephen Perkins Hammond (1811-1856) of Topsfield. The couple had no issue and the cup descended to their first cousin, Sarah Gilbert Hammond (1815-1838) of Newburyport and William P. Tenney (1814--1881) of Westford, Massachusetts, m. 1838; to their daughter, the donor, Grace Gorden Tenney (1855-1947) and Frederic O. North (1852-1910) , m. 1876.
Gift of Mrs. Frederick O. North