Object Place: Dresden, Germany
Height x diameter (of foot): 31.4 x 12.4 cm (12 3/8 x 4 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hand-blown glass with enamel decoration
Not On View
Decorated with the coat of arms of Augustus II as Elector of Saxony and King of Poland, surmounted by crown and the initials “F.A.R.P” and flanked by yellow, blue, red, and green acanthus scrolls. With five portions indicated by yellow and red horizontal bands painted around the body of the beaker and numerals 1 to 5 marking the individual portions painted in white enamel.
Inscribed in white enamel above coat of arms: "F.A.R.P" [Fridericus Augustus Rex Polonaie]. Along the back are the numbers 1 through 5, each number is painted above a rung, painted in red and yellow enamel, with 1 being at highest point.
Saxon court inventory numbers: "39517" incised on underside of foot rim; "A.116.", painted in white enamel, and "6311" painted in yellow enamel, on underside of base.
About 1700-1710, made for Augustus II ("Augustus the Strong"), Elector of Saxony and King of Poland (b. 1670 - d. 1733), Dresden [see note 1]; until World War II, by descent within Saxon royal family; 1945, taken to Pillnitz Castle, near Dresden and looted [see note 2]; subsequently restituted to the descendants of the Saxon royal family; 2003, sold by the descendants of the Saxon royal family to Rudigier Gallery, Munich; 2004, gift of the Rudigier Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 26, 2004)
 The provenance given here was provided at the time of the object's acquisition. The object is said to have been stored in the Hofkellerei, or court cellars, in Dresden. The Saxon court inventory numbers 39517, A.116, and 6311 can be found on the object.  According to information provided by Rudigier Gallery, in 1945 the object was transferred from the private possession of the Saxon royal family to the Kunstgewerbemuseum (Museum of Decorative Arts), Castle Pillnitz, and was recently restituted to the family. Pillnitz was a major repository for art in Dresden during World War II. It housed paintings, sculpture, and works of decorative art from private collections -- including that of the Saxon royal family -- and from the Dresden museums for safekeeping. Much of the art stored in such repositories was looted in 1945 by the Soviet Army. The process of restitution has been ongoing since the 1950s.
Gift of Rudigier Gallery, Munich