Overall: 5.4 x 22.2 cm (2 1/8 x 8 3/4 in.)
Not On View
Glazed Hafner ware. Shallow on splayed footband (broken) with two open scroll handles. Center has white rayed mask of sun in wreath; yellow shells, white above, and flutes of blue and green extend to blue rim; yellow back.
1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (probably no. OB 884) [see note 1]; stored at the Central Depot, Neue Burg, Vienna, and probably removed to Alt Aussee [see note 2]; 1945, recovered by Allied forces and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; December 5, 1961, sold by Blumka Gallery to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962)
 That the bowl belonged to Oscar Bondy is according to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to David B. Little of the MFA (February 27, 1962). With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This bowl is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), probably no. 884 ("Bunte glasierte zweihenkelige Schale mit Fuss, im Fond Sonne, D=19.5, deutsch 16. Jh.").
 Many works of art stored elsewhere by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, to be kept stafe from wartime bombing.
 Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson