Overall: 12.1 x 20.3 cm (4 3/4 x 8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Wheel-thrown earthenware with glossy glaze
Not On View
Deep red glossy glaze over blackened clay
Laura Andreson taught ceramics at UCLA starting in 1936, as one of the first generation of artists to establish ceramic programs in the West Coast. In 1944 she studied wheel-throwing with master potter Gertrud Natzler. She was inspired by the beauty of the natural California landscape, creating simple forms for experimental glazes in bright, saturating colors. Andreson gave a personal collection of Asian and Native North American ceramics to the MFA in 1984.
Incised signature inside foot "Laura Andreson 41"
March 10, 2005, sold by 330 Gallery, Hudson, New York (Mark McDonald), to Philip E. Aarons, New York; 2012, year-end gift of Aarons to the MFA. (Accession date: Februrary 27, 2013)
Gift of Philip Aarons and Shelley Fox Aarons in honor of Jules and Jeanette Aarons