Object Place: American or European
Height x width x depth: 6.2 x 5.1 x 1.8 cm (2 7/16 x 2 x 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Gold and glass
Not On View
This micromosaic brooch depicting a dove holding olive branch (the Dove of Pliny, symbol of peace) inlaid into a round piece of black glass, has an elaborate gold archeological style setting. The base of the simple bezel band has two small twisted wires separated by a small space. Under the lower twisted wire there is a wider band embellished by granulated balls and curled wires, two more rows of small twisted wires and another thin round wire.
Above, and slightly separated from this disk, is a wide hollow curved element that imitates a heavy half-round wire. This is placed half way around the disk and is attached on two sides and the center of the top by superimposed motifs of half-round and twisted wires. Each of these are attached to the curved element by balls soldered onto the reverse of the piece. A hollow tear drop shape hangs from both ends of the curved element by small loops. Another hollow pendant, shaped like a vessel, hangs from the center of the large round element.
The pin back is original.
An unidentifiblle mark is stamped into the pin stem. Mark does appear to have a recognizable 4 and possibly part of a 6.
Maxim Karolik (b. 1893 – d. 1963), Newport and Washington DC; 1964, bequest of Karolik to the MFA. (May 13, 1964)
Bequest of Maxim Karolik