Bust of the Weeping Philosopher
Height: 34 cm (13 3/8 in.); Width 12.7 cm (5 in)'; Width of base: 4 in.
Medium or Technique
Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)
White, with draped shoulders, raised on high tapering rectangular plinth.
In 1750, the ivory carver Ludwig Lücke came to Vienna from Meissen to work in the imperial capital as a highly paid “master modeler,” where his signature became a mark of high quality. In contrast to elaborate and flamboyant Meissen figures, Viennese figures are known for their restrained gestures and simple decoration.
Blue shield marks, only Weeping Philosopher signed.
Until 1994, Mrs. D. Fischer; March 2, 1994, posthumous Fischer sale, Phillips de Pury & Co., London, lot 36, to E. & H. Manners (dealer), London, for Edward M. Pflueger (b. 1905 - d. 1997) and Kiyi Powers Pflueger (b. 1915 - d. 2008), New York; 2006, bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger to the MFA. (Accession Date: April 26, 2006)
Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection. Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger