Campanian oil jug (lekythos)

Greek, South Italian
Early Hellenistic Period
about 320–310 B.C.
Painter Valencia


Place of Manufacture: Italy, Campania

Catalogue Raisonné

Vase-Painting in Italy (MFA), no. 091.

Dimensions

19.3 cm (7 5/8 in.)

Accession Number

03.829

Medium or Technique

Ceramic

Not On View

Collections

Europe, The Ancient World

Classifications

Vessels

A large female head looks to the left, with the hair in a sakkos decorated with black stripes and dots and crowned by a yellow wreath. The woman’s face is in added white. Her features are well drawn, with downturned mouth, hooked nostrils, and alert eyes. She wears a chiton but no jewelry.
There are tall, coiling tendrills on the sides and a large palmette on the reverse. A tall band of tongues cirlces the lower neck. A reserved stripe circles the lower body. The groove on the foot is painted white; that between foot and body is reserved.

ITALIAN VASE PAINTING in ITALY, #91 (03.829)
Attributed to the Valencia Group
320-310 B.C.

A large female head looks to the left, with the hair in a sakkos decorated with black stripes and dots and crowned by a yellow wreath. The woman’s face is in added white. Her features are well drawn, with downturned mouth, hooked nostrils, and alert, querying eyes. She wears a chiton but no jewelry.
There are tall, coiling tendrils on the sides and a large palmette on the reverse. A tall band of tongues circles the lower neck. A reserved stripe cicles the lower body. The groove on the foot is painted white; that between foot and body is reserved.
The head vases of the Valencia Group are among the minor works produced in the workshop of the Ixion Painter. Trendall compared this head to that on a chous in St. Petersburg (inv. 2441: Trendall, LCS, p. 345, no. 863).

Provenance

By 1903: with Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: The following objects [MFA 03.805-03.833, 03.836-03.837, 03.906] were found in one cemetery in Campania.); purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren, March 24, 1903

Credit Line

Francis Bartlett Donation of 1900