Chasuble from the abbey church of the Benedictine monastery of Saint Peter
11th century, with 12th century repairs
Object Place: region of Salzburg, Austria
Center back: 153 cm (60 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Silk compound weft twill [samite], embroidered with metal-wrapped thread and applied tablet-woven bands
Not On View
(from Abbey Church of St. Peter, Salzburg). Bell-shaped chasuble, made of dark blue-black silk. Gold woven orphreys, showing small animals in colored silks, and narrow woven gold strips flanking orphreys and bordering gold embroidered inscription around hem: HANC VESTEM CLARAM PETRI PATRAVIT AD ARAM HEINRICH PECCATOR EIUS SIT UT AUXILIATOR. Silks shredded, patched with other textiles; gold worn. Modern lining. Woven in Palermo.
Until 1933, the abbey church of St. Peter, Salzburg, Austria; 1933, sold by the church of St. Peter to Adolfo Loewi, Venice [see note 1]; 1933, sold by Loewi to the MFA for $10,000. (Accession Date: December 3, 1933)
 On the dispersal of art objects from the church of St. Peter, see Franz Wagner, "Zu den mittelalterlichen Insignien der Benediktineräbte von St. Peter in Salzburg," Alte und Moderne Kunst 27 (1982), p. 4 and Ernst Hanisch, "St. Peter in der Zwischenkriegszeit," in Der älteste Kloster im deutschen Sprachraum: St. Peter in Salzburg (exh. cat. Dommuseum, Salzburg, May 15 - October 26, 1982), p. 218.
Ellen Frances Mason Fund