Chest of drawers
about 1770–90 with later alterations
Object Place: Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Overall: 85.1 x 101 x 54.6 cm (33 1/2 x 39 3/4 x 21 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Cherry, mahogany, pine
Not On View
The words "Top Side" are written in chalk on the underside of the middle board of the top.
Stamped on top of left side of third drawer from top: "B.O. Pierce"
Stamped on top of right side of lowest drawer: "B.O. Pierce".
A note preserved with this chest gave the following famly history: "This bureau formed part of the furnishing of the fine Colonial mansion of Benjamin Pickman, built by him on Essex St. Salem in 1750. In about 1836 or 1837, when his descendants were all married dispersed etc. the house was sold and the furniture remaining in it was purchased by Edward R. Secomb and used in his bedroom till his marriage in 1840. It was left by him in the old home and used by his sisters till 1893 when it came into the possession of Benjamin O. Pierce of Cambridge." After Pierce's death, the chest came into the possession of the Ames family, his neighbor; by descent to the donors, James B. Ames and Suzannah C. Ames; 1994, gift of the donors (Accession Date December 30, 1994)
Gift of James B. Ames and Suzannah C. Ames