Circular Brooch

Italian
Early medieval
first half of the 7th century


Object Place: Europe, Italy

Accession Number

59.13

Medium or Technique

Gold and colored glass

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Glass

The brooch is made of a circular gold plate with soldered gold cloisons filled with glass on the front and a twisted cable around the edge. Cloisons from a central rosette with eight green petals surrounded by three concentric bands. The innermost of the bands has rectangular cells filled with alternating red, green, white, and yellow glasses. The second is composed of triangular sections of alternating blue and millefiori glasses, and the outer band is a series of empty curved cells. On the back are soldered two gold rings to hold the pin and a curved piece of gold decorated with filigree to serve as the catch. A third loop, probably used at a later date for suspending the brooch, is modern.

Provenance

By 1902, Sir Thomas Gibson Carmichael; May 13, 1902, sold at Carmichael sale, Christie's, London, lot 189. By 1929, Marc Rosenberg, Baden-Baden, Germany; November 4, 1929, Rosenberg sale, Graupe-Ball, Berlin, lot 120. L. Burg, London. 1959, Otto Wertheimer, Paris; 1959, sold by Wertheimer to the MFA for $3500. (Accession date: January 8, 1959)

Credit Line

Edwin E. Jack Fund