Kalo Shop (1900–1970)
Object Place: Chicago, Illinois, United States
2.3 x 38 x 14.4 cm (7/8 x 14 15/16 x 5 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The serving dish has three lobes at each end and is divided into three sections. It has an applied silver course at the rim.
The “O C” stamped on the bottom of this dish may refer to its maker and could possibly stand for Yngve Olsson (1896–1970) and John H. Cook, both of whom worked for Kalo during this period. A Danish emigré, Olsson assumed a leading role in the shop after founder Clara Welles retired to California in 1940. The shop closed in 1970. The dish was made as one of a pair.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
“STERLING / HAND WROUGHT [in demilune shape] / AT / THE KALO SHOP / O C” struck on bottom.
Ada Mark * F4731
Original owner unknown; subsequent history unknown until given to the Art Institute of Chicago by the John L. and Helen Kellogg Foundation in 1978; the bowl (one of a pair) was exchanged with the Art Institute for duplicate examples of Stone silver in the MFA’s collection.
Seth K. Sweetser Fund