Conical beaker or lamp
Byzantine, Eastern Mediterranean, probably Karanis, Egypt
Early Byzantine Period
mid 4th–mid 6th century
Height: 19.1 cm (7 1/2 in.) Diameter: 11.4 (4 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glass, free-blown and cut with applied decoration
Not On View
A conical beaker used for drinking or as a lighting device (oil lamp); composed of a small, slightly concave base, conical body and bulge rim. The body of the glass cone is decorated with three sets of abraded bands; between upper sets of bands, groups of three small blue blobs and one large blue blob. Similar conical beakers with bulge rim are usually attributed to manufacture in Eastern Mediterranean, either Palestine or Egypt; however, this beaker was probably manufactured in Karanis, Egypt.
Pale greenish. Intact; no iridescence.
From a collection formed in Egypt in the early 20th century, probably by Reginald Godfrey Peckitt, Esq, formerly of the Egyptian State Railways; by 1961: Mrs. Godfrey Peckitt Collection, 1826 24th Street, N.W., Washington 8, D.C.; gift of Mrs. Godfrey Peckitt to MFA, December 13, 1961
Gift of Mrs. Godfrey Peckitt