Covered two-handled bowl
Object Place: Nuremberg
Overall: 13 x 25 cm (5 1/8 x 9 13/16 in.) Diameter of body: 19 cm (7 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Soft green glaze, cream inside, on lid and base. Raised designs of flowered hearts between entwined scrolls, border of joined scrolls, on curved body with two scroll handles. Lid with inset bezel, matching border and three upright double scrolls adjouré around medallion (one broken), center depicting Adam and Eve grasping the apple from the Serpent in Garden of Eden.Ten-pointed star enclosing wreath with flutes on bottom.
Bondy collection "985" sticker
Stefan von Auspitz (b. 1869 - d. 1945), Vienna; 1931, consigned to the K. W. Bachstitz Gallery, The Hague [see note 1]; December 29, 1931, sold by Bachstitz to Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna [see note 2]; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (no. OB 829) [see note 3]; acquired by the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum, Linz, Austria; 1947, released by the Landesmuseum to the American Military Government in Austria, and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York [see note 4]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 5]; January 23, 1962, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962)
 Stefan von Auspitz was a banker at the Bankhaus Auspitz, Lieben & Co., Vienna. After the company declared bankruptcy in 1931 the Austrian government seized the bank and the property of its directors. Auspitz's collection of art was sold to Daniel George van Beuningen, who kept some objects for himself, selling the remainder through Kurt Bachstitz.
 According to information on file at the RKD, the Hague (RKD Archief Bachstitz Gallery/Stock Book Auspitz Collection, II, no. 1299, as "Swiss Earthen Bowl").
 With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This bowl is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), probably as no. 829 ("Godenschale mit Deckel, Relief, Adam und Eva, Ton, grün glasiert, 18. Jh. D. 29").
 The bowl is included on a list of works of "art objects which are overturned to us from confiscated properties and they are already presented to the respective Section of the American Military and Austrian Government" (May 30, 1947, from the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum to the American Military Government, Salzburg). National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, MD, Microfilm Publication M1926. Records of the Reparations and Restitutions Branch of the U.S. Allied Commission for Austria (USACA) Section, 1945-1950.
 Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson