Paul Revere, Jr. (American, 1734–1818)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
15.3 x 13.5 x 7.5 cm (6 x 5 5/16 x 2 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
An elliptical seamed form, this pitcher has a swelling midsection that rises to an upturned spout with an applied and molded rim. A squared, ribbed strap handle rises vertically from the rim; its attenuated lower section is soldered to the body. An applied foot ring provides added reinforcement. An old repair to handle is evident at its juncture with the rim.
This example represents yet another variant on the cream pitcher produced in Revere’s shop. It echoes the shape of the larger Revere pitchers that have become an icon of that colonial establishment.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
"BEW" in sprigged entwined monogram is engraved below spout.
REVERE in rectangle on base
According to family history, the engraved initials refer to the original owner, Benjamin E. West (1792 – 1822) of Boston, m. Elisa Ann Jarvis (1797 – 1856) in 1817. It descended to their daughter Harriett Jarvis West (1820 – 1909), m. John Kuhn Fuller (1816 – 1905) in 1840. One of their children, Annie, m. Edward Lawrence Jr.; by descent to their son Edward Lawrence (d. 1957); by descent to his son Robert A. Lawrence. Placed on loan to the Museum in 1973 from Mr. and Mrs. Robert A. Lawrence and made a gift in 1991.
Gift of Robert A. Lawrence