Cruet stand and ewers

Dutch (Delft)
about 1701-1722
Marked by Pieter Adriaensz Kocks, Proprietor, Greek A factory (active 1701–1703)


Dimensions

Height x Length: 13 x 17.5 cm (5 1/8 x 6 7/8 in.)

Accession Number

2012.617.1, .2a-b, .3a-b

Medium or Technique

Tin-glazed earthenware

On View

Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Earthenware

A cruet stand with cruet bottles and covers for oil and vinegar, both stand and ewers with PAK monogram mark for Pieter Adriaensz Kocx at De Grieksche A Factory. Each flagon painted with flowering plants and birds, labeled respectively A and O for vinegar and oil, the stand en suite and with a loop handle.

Inscription

Three labels:
"Stodel Amsterdam / DA 245"
Small orange label: "SS / 8330"

"Collection G. Ephis / DEL 282"

Markings

Conjoined "PAK / 124 / 246" in overglaze black on stand.
Conjoined "PAK / 68 / 79" on both ewers

Provenance

1997, sold by Salomon Stodel (dealer), Amsterdam, to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).

Credit Line

The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger