Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
9.5 x 10.5 x 7.5 cm (3 3/4 x 4 1/8 x 2 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This small bulb-shaped cup is raised and sits on a drawn foot ring. A rounded band is applied to the upper rim. The hollow ear-shaped handle is soldered directly to the body. One stress crack appears at juncture between body and lower handle joint.
Harris, Stanwood & Co. were celebrated for the beauty and quality of their “plain” wares, such as this small cup. Its graceful, curved form and polished surface are reminiscent of larger canns of the previous century. First presented in 1843, probably as a baby gift to a child in the Lincoln family, and subsequently inscribed to Louise Bodine Wallace in 1914, the cup remained a part of the family’s history for 140 years.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
"LL / to /ECL /1843. / to / LBW / 1914." engraved in entwined and sprigged script on the body opposite the handle.
Stamped "HARRIS STANWOOD & CO " in roman letters and "Pure Silver Coin" below, each within a rectangle on the bottom.
The cup was probably acquired by the Lincoln family of Hingham and passed by descent to the Wallace and Williams families. See 1985.327 for other silver belonging to these families.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs Franklin H. Williams in memory of Louise Bodine Wallace