Cup and deep-well saucer
8.9 x 10.5 x 8.6 cm (3 1/2 x 4 1/8 x 3 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold
Not On View
The bucket-shaped cup tapers towards the base and has an ear-shaped handle composed of two interlacing branches with leaf terminals. The saucer has a broad flange which rises slightly towards the rim and a deep central well into which the bottom of the cup fits. The turquoise (blue céleste) ground is decorated with bands of gilt beading enclosing diaperwork and dots. Garlands of gilt leaves and berries are painted near the base of the cup. Gilt dentil bands decorate the rim of the cup and the saucer, and gilt bands encircle the well of the saucer and the base of the cup. Tooled and burnished gilt bands enclose each of the four reserves, three of which are painted with quayside scenes. The fourth reserve depicts two men on a sailboat near a craggy coastline and waves crashing against a stone dock on which three men stand.
Cup: Interlaced Ls enclosing date letter p. painter's mark M for Jean-Louis Morin above, in blue enamel, incised A. Saucer: incised 8
By 1925, Catalina von Pannwitz, Heemstede, The Netherlands [see note 1]; probably sold by Mrs. Pannwitz to Rosenberg and Stiebel, New York [see note 2]; November 29, 1944, sold by Rosenberg and Stiebel to Forsyth Wickes (b. 1876 - d. 1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
 Otto von Falke and Max J. Friedländer, "Die Kunstsammlung von Pannwitz" (Munich, 1925), vol. 2, p. 37, cat. no. 427. Catalina von Pannwitz and her husband, Walter (d. 1920), had already formed an art collection by 1905, although it is not known when the cup and saucer entered their possession.  Rosenberg and Stiebel sold many objects from the Pannwitz collection beginning in the 1940s.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection