Cup and saucer
Made at Chantilly Manufactory (France)
Overall (cup): 6.8 x 8.9 x 6.8 cm (2 11/16 x 3 1/2 x 2 11/16 in.) Other (saucer): 13 x 2.6 cm (5 1/8 x 1 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed soft paste porcelain decorated in blue enamel
Not On View
These 3 cups and saucers (65.1968a-b, 65.1969a-b, 65.1970a-b) and 8 plates (65.1956-65.1963) formed part of a service ordered by Louis-Joseph de Bourbon-Condé (1736-1818), for the Menagerie at the chateau of Chantilly. The circular cup tapers at the base and has an ear-shaped handle. The rim, the sides of the handle, and the footring are decorated with blue bands, and the arms of the Prince de Condé with the order of the Saint-Esprit are painted in blue opposite the handle. The arms are also painted in the center of the shallow saucer, which has a blue rim.
Cup: hunting horn with 82B below in blue enamel. Saucer: hunting horn with P in script below in blue enamel
About 1765-1770, delivered to Louis-Joseph de Bourbon-Condé, Prince of Condé, (b. 1736 - d. 1818), for the Ménagerie on the grounds of the chateau of Chantilly. Forsyth Wickes (b.1876-d.1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA [see note 1]. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
 The 3 identical sets of cups and saucers from this service were acquired by Forsyth Wickes in 2 groups. The provenance of both groups is given here:
A Pair of Cups and Saucers: 1928, Thomas, London. Elizabeth W. Duval, New York; August 7, 1940, Elizabeth W. Duval, sold to Forsyth Wickes.
One Cup and Saucer: By 1947, Pauline Riggs Noyes; February 7-8, 1947, Pauline Riggs Noyes sold at Parke Bernet, New York, lot 98, to Forsyth Wickes.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection