Object Place: Bahu-Jammu, Punjab Hills, Northern India
Overall: 21 x 20.9cm (8 1/4 x 8 1/4in.) Framed: 18 3/4 x 14 3/4 in. (47.6 x 37.5 cm)
Medium or Technique
Opaque watercolor and silver on paper
Not On View
Obverse: at top, in Punjabi script, "Devagandhari Ragini, wife of Malkausa" (devgandhari ragini malkausa di bharja). Traces of an earlier, sloppier version of the same inscription appear beneath this line.
Reverse: at top, in Takri, "malkosa di bharja dua patara." Also, a much more scribbled line, which Goswamy thinks is the dealer's hand (seen also on Dipak raga from this set). In English: "Malkaus."
By 1916, purchased in India by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy (b. 1887 - d. 1947); 1917, sold by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy to Denman Waldo Ross (b. 1853 - d. 1935), Cambridge, MA; 1917, given by Denman Waldo Ross to the MFA. (Accession date: April 5, 1917)